Sunday, July 27, 2014

Wood Scoreboard with usable metal number plates

My sister asked me to make a scoreboard for her boys' bedroom. They love sports with all their hearts and play constantly. 
We decided to make it a little generic so that they could use it for different sports.
The ones we found online were not usable. They didn't have usable/movable number plates. 
So between me and my husband we came up with these metal number plates. :)
So, I started with a piece of wood. (4ft x 3ft)


 Then I drew on the curve to cut out on the top. 

And drew on the cut marks on the steel metal sheet we bought at Home Depot


Hubby cut the wood for me.



And I sanded it down. I wanted it to be smooth enough that when the boys want to move it to another room or outside, it wouldn't hurt their little hands. :)


Then I did a layer of BIN to cover the knots in the wood and seal it.

Then painted.


As much as I like doing things by hand, I was on a time crunch so I bought and used stencils for the lettering.


But I only had one size of stencil. So the "THE" was by hand and the "FAUSET BOYS" I made my own stencil using my Silhouette Cameo and thick card stock.

(notice, the Where the Wild Things are painting behind the scoreboard. I was working on those at the same time as the scoreboard.) 

Then I added all the blocks for where to place the numbers. 
The top middle two are where to keep the numbers when they're not being used.
You'll see in the final pic that the hooks I used on those two are much larger than the hooks for the scoring.


The Number plates are made from that steel metal sheet we bought. Bryce used a tool at work to cut them out and then I sanded the edges and cut the numbers out of black vinyl, again using my Silhouette Cameo.

And then I used sand paper and rocks (yes, rocks) to antique it just a little.


Final Product: 



I'll add a couple more photos once Jen has it hung in the boys' room! 


1 comment:

Karen Rowley said...

I love your work Cherise! You are just amazing. Seriously amazing.