Monday, June 9, 2014

{Baby Girl Quilt: Green, Pink and Grey}


I mentioned that I made a baby quilt while I was miscarrying.  Maybe a funny thing for me to have done but I'm so glad I did. It was really therapeutic for some reason.  Creating something and staying busy was really good for me. 

So I went to the store and just walked around looking for inspiration. I ran into this adorable flannel that I just could not resist. It says things like "April showers" and "Cycling in the park". It's kitty cats riding bikes. How cute is that????

So once I had the flannel, I just walked around with it until I found these cotton pieces I liked with it.

Once home, I sat down and drew out my idea for the stripes. How I wanted them placed and the color order etc. 



Then I just jumped right in! I cut out and sewed the stripes together. Then placed the batting with the flannel pieces on either side and sewed the striped right on top. 


 Then, as you can see above, I did freehand wavy quilting across the blanket. Then cut out the little trees and birds and just sewed around each of them right onto the blanket as well. The edges are raw. One day I'll learn to applique but for now, I'm happy with this. :)

Here's the back. You can kind of see the quilting in this pic too. Just a little.

This is by far my favorite quilt so far (other than my hope quilt, for sentimental reasons). 

And actually I did the border in two different colors because I really wanted green all the way around but ran out so I thought it would be fun with two and I ended up loving that about it too!

My label is the rectangle above the birds and trees. :)

No comments: